Thursday, July 09, 2015

Thursday Three-fer: My Sister's Bedroom

My middle sister, Shirley, is about six years older than me.  Having an older sister helped me to be much cooler than I otherwise might have been, at least in my musical tastes.  Shirley had a record player in her bedroom and a few albums, but a rockin' collection of 45s.  I spent many hours in her bedroom while she was at work or out and about, listening to her records.  Luckily, she had a window in her bedroom which allowed me to watch the driveway to make sure she wasn't coming home, because she would kill me if she caught me in her room listening to her records.  Here are the songs that bring me back to Shirley's room every time I hear them. 


1. Joy to the World - Three Dog Night
Jeremiah was a bullfrog.  The heck?  Back in the day, no one seemed to question this lyric - we all just sang it with such feeling and conviction that it was assumed we all understood exactly what they were talking about.  But looking back on it, curiosity (and having the world of information at my fingertips) got the best of me and I looked it up.  Apparently, it was one of those nonsense placeholder lyrics that songwriters use and intend to replace it with something that makes more sense later.  But that part never happened and now we have a lyric we can't imagine being without.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dFypAB7nYGA

2.  Ballroom Blitz - Sweet
This song was edgy enough to make me feel like I was living life on the fringes when I listened to it.  Yeah, it made an appearance in the movie "Wayne's World" (which is very cool) but it's coolest incarnation is when I listened to it in my sister's bedroom on the forbidden record player.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JzKAJRux4ss

3.  One Tin Soldier - Coven
The theme song from the movie "Billy Jack."  Never saw it.  A Vietnam war protest song?  Not sure I get it.  But a parable about greed and destruction, I totally get.  *SPOILER* The valley people killed the people of the mountain for their treasure, which turned out to be a rock with the message "Peace on Earth" engraved on it.  Irony.  That's some deep stuff when you're not even in junior high yet.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8loNpZkAP6M

Honorable mentions for this list were:  Half-Breed by Cher (?)
Smokin' in the Boy's Room by Brownsville Station
Stuck in the Middle by Stealers Wheel


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home