Sunday, June 28, 2015

5 Things Jesus Would Say to the Evangelical Community

I've seen this article being linked to called "5 Things Jesus Would Say to the Gay Community."  (You can read it here.)  I thought it was a bit patronizing and I didn't really agree with the writer that that's how Jesus would respond.  But that's ok.  As brothers and sisters, we are going to disagree.  And, I also think it's ok to respond to each other when we disagree - as long as it's not hateful or prideful.  This list of 5 things Jesus would say inspired me to come up with my own list of 5 things Jesus would say to the evangelical community.  I assume the original piece was written in response to the recent Supreme Court decision which said it was unconstitutional for states to ban same-sex marriage.  So my response is to the evangelical community, who seemed to be leading the charge to fight such a decision.  I tried to keep love and humility as my intent.  I totally get the irony of my telling people they should worry about the log in their own eye, while at the same time having a giant timber of my own sticking out for all to see.  But, at the same time, I also wanted to make it a provocative alternative view of what Jesus might think about this much too long-fought battle.  Definitely MHO (my humble opinion, boomers).

5 Things Jesus Would Say to the Evangelical Community

1. Thank goodness this stupid fight is finally over (PLEASE tell me it’s really over)! Now you can use all that time, energy, money, and passion to do the things I told you to do and not spend another minute worrying about something that I never spent a lick of time worrying about while I was there.

2.  I never called you to be the rulemasters. You know the kid at recess who feels the need to point out every time some real or perceived rule is being broken? Nobody likes that kid. Quit being that kid. We lived in the Roman Empire, which was far from a God-fearing nation. Yet you never saw my followers or me working to litigate or legislate so my rules would be followed. Waste of time. Follow our example. Touch people’s hearts and minds and let my Father worry about whether or not other people are following the rules. You have your hands full making sure YOU are following the rules. The other day I did a Google search and I typed in “Christians are.” The top answer that appeared was “annoying.” That is NOT what I called you to be - yet that is how you are being perceived by those who are lost and need me most. My son, Phillip Yancey, once said, “When I ask people, “What is a Christian?” they don’t usually respond with words like love, compassion, grace; usually they describe a person who’s anti-something. Jesus was not primarily known for what he was against. He was known for serving people who had needs. . . If we, the church, were known primarily for that, then we could cut through so many divisions.” What he said.


3.  Each year, 2.6 million children die as a result of hunger-related causes. That’s something I actually asked you to take care of for me. Maybe you could work on that.  (Matthew 25:35-45, Luke 3:11, Luke 12:33)

4. My two greatest commandments to you were to love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind and love your neighbor as yourself. Until you’ve got those two things under control - the all time number one expectations I have for you - you have what I call a log in your eye. (And don’t tell me you’ve got those two things under control - nobody likes that kid either.) I know I don’t have to remind you about the logs and specks thing.

5. I love you, but I have a better plan for you. You may enjoy the life you live right now even if it disagrees with my guidelines. But trust that I know what is best. Put all the fighting and condemning and hand-wringing aside. Be the light of world for me. (Matthew 5:14)

1 Comments:

Blogger William Sears said...

I love #5. We all have said it with such earnestness,(sometimes we even put these words in Jesus mouth) not realizing how full of crap we are.

7:18 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home